Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Osteoporosis and Me

Bone health is important, and a chronic condition like MS makes it even more important. Strong bones are crucial to our health, our daily lives, and our overall quality of life. For me, the story is personal.

Osteoporosis does not discriminate. It does happen to little old ladies, walking bent over, who break their hips when they fall. Historically, it's been a normal part of aging in women. However, the truth is that osteoporosis sneaks up on energetic, active people like Sally Fieldand me. And it sneaked up on 10 million other people in the United States. Wow.

Among those millions are all types of people, mostly women, but men, too. Many of them also have chronic conditions and disabilities, like me. I have MS, and my osteoporosis is severe, described as "off the charts." Each jostle is a new breakage opportunity, and my bones are extra breakable

Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,